You are currently located at:
- Also known as YS-1 Army Sno-Train
- Utilized a single 600hp diesel engine
- 45 ton capacity
In the middle of 1956, the U.S. Army received a second train known as the Logistical Cargo Carrier, LCC-1. Composed of a lead car and three trailers and 16 electrically all wheel drive, it had a payload of 45 tonnes. Lighter, lower the trailer for stability, it was used successfully to transport equipment to replenish the DEW Line until 1961.
The 16x16 vehicle included a single locomotive with three cars capable of handling a load of 45 tons in total. The control cab was itself articulated into two compartments; a heated driving compartment in front for the crew of three, and a rear section containing the 600-hp diesel engine, generators and fuel tanks. The cab also sported a powered crane on the rear.
In spite of starting the project before the VC-22, the LCC-1 required much more customization, and was not completed until January 1956. After testing at the factory, it was handed over to the Army in March, and continued testing in snow at the TRADCOM proving grounds in Houghton, Michigan. After acceptance, it was sent to Greenland, and then traveled around the north for some time.
The LCC-1, was decommissioned after a troubleshooting operation on July 5, 1961. The lead car and two trailers can be seen currently in the court of Carl Pedersen on Badger Road near North Pole to ¼ of an hour from Fairbanks and a trailer to Cherokee Lodge in South Delta (source).
LCC-1 or YS1 Sno-Train